There is a separate body of law that regulates domestic issues, and it is called family law. This encompasses several areas of concern but the aim, in general, is to safeguard an individual’s rights when it comes to the context of family. This ranges from divorce law, which deals with how estates are divided between the divorcing spouses and which of them is required to pay spousal support, to custody law which determines the best interest of the children when their parents spit up. There is also adoption and family inheritance, too. Moreover, not only does family law protect the rights of heterosexual couples, same-sex couples and other domestic relationships issues also apply. Even domestic violence falls under this umbrella.
Seeing how this covers a wide array of issues, you just might need a family lawyer at one point in your life. But with a lot of mandurah family lawyers around, how do find the right one? Here are some tips to help you:
- Choose a law firm or a lawyer that specializes in family or marital law. Do they practice family law exclusively or is it one of his or her several practice areas? In larger firms, you will find lawyers who are experts on a specific body of law, while in smaller ones, lawyers practice several. Practicing in this field requires a full commitment and it is best if your lawyer specializes in this jurisdiction. If this is the case, he or she will be able to recommend family counsellors, personal finance advisers, the best mediators, the whole process of the court proceedings, the judges and their preferences and how to achieve the most ideal outcomes. This will be very helpful.
- Once you’ve found specialists, know when they were admitted and how long they have been specializing in family law to ascertain experience in the field.
- Make sure that you are comfortable with him or her by talking with them over the phone before you meet them in person. If you are not at ease, do not be afraid to ask the firm for another lawyer or look for another one from a separate firm altogether. Having a positive relationship with your lawyer is necessary.
- Mandurah family lawyers must have the financial knowledge that come with divorce and estate settlements. Even when the lawyer is not an accountant of financial consultant, expect him or her to understand the involved financial statements and to know when expert advice is needed regarding the matter.
- Make sure that your lawyer gives you several means of communication with him or the firm. Delays may be worsened when he or she is on leave and you have important matters that need to be attended to.
- Talk to family and friends for recommendations. Hire a lawyer whom your family and friends trust. Ask around and find out why the lawyer is recommended and see if the lawyer’s strengths fit your needs. These referrals will confirm the skills, experience and qualifications that you require.
It is almost certain that these times won’t be easy for you. The last thing you want is hiring the wrong lawyer. Make sure that doesn’t happen by considering the suggestions above.